The Victoria Pride Society invites youth to join the new
Youth Leadership Council
Who can apply?
LGBTQ2A* youth age 14 – 24. Acknowledging existing issues with mainstream accessibility and inclusion, we strongly encourage applications from QTPOC youth, individuals with disabilities, and trans, non-binary, and two spirit youth.
The Role of the Youth Leadership Council
The purpose of the Youth Leadership Council (YLC) is to foster learning opportunities, be a forum to voice youth needs, and inform and lead key initiatives to make positive impacts in our communities! To learn more about the Victoria Pride Society’s Mandate and Vision, see our “About” page here.
The YLC will serve the following functions and members of the Council can choose their level of involvement:
- Advisory to the Victoria Pride Society Board: Around youth-inclusive programming
- Planning: Have leadership roles in decision-making, planning, and carrying out youth-focused
events and initiatives
- Media relations: Be one of the faces of the Victoria Pride Society on our YouTube Channel and
social media; conduct interviews and share key updates with our followers
- Film Technician: Through professional mentorship, learn film-making skills to support the media
- Peer Mentorship: Work with other youth and each other to share ideas and support one another’s
Members should anticipate committing to 1 calendar year with meetings approximately once a month (with food and bus tickets provided) as well as actively engaging in communication through an online forum. Members can participate as much as they are able.
Participation on the Committee is primarily volunteer, however throughout the year there will be occasions where honoraria are provided, as well as meals and team-building events!
The Victoria Pride Society Advisor to the YLC is the Youth Engagement Committee Chair, with opportunities for other Directors to assist as invited by the YLC. Meet all the Victoria Pride Society Board Members here.
How to apply!
• A cover letter that introduces yourself (anything you’d like to share!), your pronouns, your age, contact information, and why you would like to be part of the Youth Leadership Council.
• A resumé that talks about your extracurricular activities, hobbies, volunteer work, work experience, relevant skills, and most importantly, your goals and visions for yourself over the upcoming year. Work and education experience is one thing, but your own goals and visions tells us about your passion for this work!
• A personal reference and their contact information. This can be (but not limited to) a teacher, GSA lead, youth group leader, camp counsellor, social worker, volunteer coordinator, counsellor, or employer. If you have questions, ask away!
Send submissions (and any questions you have) to Kelly Legge at email@example.com by September 25th, 2018.