The Victoria Pride
Youth Leadership Council (YLC)
WHAT IS THE YLC?
The Victoria Pride Youth Leadership Council (YLC) is a group of 14-24 year-olds that meet monthly to plan youth initiatives and events that relate to the LGBTQIA2S+ community.
The purpose of YLC is to foster learning opportunities, be a forum to voice youth needs, and inform key initiatives to make positive impacts in our communities! To learn more about the Victoria Pride Society’s Mandate and Vision, see our About Page or follow the group’s instagram @yyj_youth_pride.
WHAT DO YLC MEMBERS DO?
Generally all members…
- Attend monthly meetings
- Have opportunities to advise the Victoria Pride Society Board around youth-inclusive programming (e.g. Youth Pride Kick-Off Event)
If members want to take on more responsibility, they can …
- Help plan additional council initiatives & events
- Have leadership roles in decision-making, planning, and carrying out youth-focused events and initiatives
- Provide updates on YLC’s instagram page
- Develop educational material for LGBTQIA2S+ youth
- Access training and mentorship opportunities
WHAT ARE YLC’s CURRENT INITIATIVES?
Currently, different council members are working on …
Developing a Trans Truths Storytelling Project
- Collecting and displaying local stories, artwork and poems about what it is like to access healthcare as a trans youth. Stay tuned for a call-out!
- Creating an event where stories are performed and local health care providers and community members are invited to attend. Likely, this event will take place in August!
Planning the Youth Pride Kick-Off Event
- This will be the second year that Pride will have a youth-targeted event. Expect opportunities to craft, eat yummy food, get to know other youth, and see and/or partake in some fabulous performances. There will be a call-out for performers in the coming months! This event will likely take place sometime over the weekend of June 22, 2019.
Beyond getting to plan and advise, council members also have the opportunity to partake in workshops and other community projects.
Here are a few upcoming training and mentorship opportunities for council members:
- Naloxone Training Workshop with Lux Welsh @ the Foundry
- Binding Workshop with the Makerhouse
- Possible Film-making workshop with Amus Productions